Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Celebrate Black History Month:Collard Greens and Gluten-Free Cornbread

Collard Greens and cornbread is some of the best eating I can do. Since I have deleted gluten from my eating regiment I went in search of Gluten-free cornbread.  There are three ways I found that I can satisfy my need for cornbread: 1) Make it myself or 2) Find a dry mix 3) Find prepared gluten-free cornbread in the store or bakery section.  I have tried one of the above so far and that is using a dry mix. 


Bob's Red Mill has a wide variety of flours and meals that are gluten-free.


I found also their pancake mix to be very good.  I was not much of a bread eater anyway, but every now and then I want some bread. I also discovered a cook who said to keep the batter from being so dense, add butter to the batter.

Collard greens and cornbread are not just for Black History Month or special holidays, they are great together any day! Here is a list of the nutritional values of Collard Greens:


Nutritional Analysis of Collard Greens (boiled, drained, no salt)

Good points
 

Recently a friend of mine who grows collards in their backyard, took some greens and sliced the leaves thinly and put them in a raw salad. Awesome!  Try it sometime!


No comments:

Post a Comment